Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hotel Experience: Bella Coola - part 1

The year before last, I went to Bella Coola for the first time.

This was my wacky transit experience:

I cabbed two hours early to the airport where I was finally let onto a wee little plane that was forced to land at the Anaheim Lake airport because it was simply too snowy to land at the intended destination, Hagensborg. From there I would have had to ride a little school bus for more than 3 hours down an icy, windy road except that one of the passengers on the plane was a pilot who offered me and two others a ride in a helicopter. This mode of transport would take only 1.5 hours to get the Hagensborg but then it would involve a different kind of danger. I took the ride but fretted all the way to Bella Coola about the cargo that I couldn't bring with me on the helicopter. Finally at Hagensborg, a very nice woman from the hotel came to pick me up, but the cargo was on the bus that would arive two hours later - would they go back and retrieve it for me? What was I to do?!
When I got to my hotel room, I passed out immediately on my comfortable bed - exhausted from all the worrying of the day.

4 comments:

megumi said...

i love that your arms are splayed out like that - so cute. do you really sleep like that? like my cat. btw i think your drawings were in my dream last night. pretty sure i was showing my mom your work - and it was in the form of a children's book. :) (p.s. it's catrina - my middle name's megumi)

QubesBlog said...

love your stories..
they're so great...short and swu-eet!!

lisa g said...

OK.

FACTS MISSING...

1. apparently the helicopter pilot was cute

2. i think you ate a pork cutlet for dinner that night when we FINALLY hooked up for dinner...

PS your drawings amaze me....

Elisa Chee said...

Yes Lisa, you're right, the helicopter pilot was cute, but I had Indian Taco the first night. And then probably pork cutlet everyday after.

And I think I do sleep like that!

Thank you for your kind comments everyone!