Tuesday, August 26, 2008

my foredoomed morning


This happened to me on Friday morning. At some point I should have given up and gone home, but I didn't:

1) Twenty minutes into my transit ride, the numer 10 bus pulled to the curb. Another driver climbed on and announced that the cables ahead were broken and that we could go no further. We had the choice to sit there and wait, or walk three blocks west to catch another bus going downtown. "How long is the wait?" someone called out. Grimly, the bus driver replied, "We don't know."

2) I walked the three blocks and arrived at a bus stop. "Hmmm", I thought, "there's only one number 8 bus that will take me downtown.  I'd better go to another spot where there will be more buses to catch."

3) Upon crossing the street, I see the number 8 bus pass by me to pick up passengers where I decided not to wait at.

4) Ten minutes later, I catch another number 8 bus.

5) The number eight idles at the bus stop I decided against, just to rub it in.

6) This is as far as I can go with the number 8, I get off to walk another three blocks to catch another that will take me to my destination.

7) I arrive just as a bus pulls in. It is the number 10 that I had impatiently alit when the cables were down. If I had only waited I would have ended up in the same place at the same time.

No comments: