Monday, August 31, 2009

Grouse Mountain tips for weaksauce hikers

This weekend I tried to hike up Grouse Mountain for the first time in my life.

Success!

However things could have gone smoother.
Here are a few tips I can pass on to anyone out there
who might need a bit of guidance too.

Tip #1:
While other hikers provide a pace you can follow
and a bit of competitive motivation, it's not advisable
to be smug about passing others on the path.


Because there's only one pathway up...
and remember, you're weaksauce.




Tip #2
Your bug repellent probably doesn't work.


But use it to your advantage, it motivates you to keep moving.


Tip #3:
Try not to listen to the sounds that other hikers make.


There is nothing more demoralizing than laboured breathing,
and feet smacking hatefully against the ground.


Tip #4:
Do push yourself beyond what you think you can do.

It sure is unrewarding when you wake up the next day with no sore muscles.

5 comments:

QubesBlog said...

congratulations on making it to the top... weaksauce!!!

stuff99 said...

I love how you take something so simple and make it such a interesting read. The illustrations are very charming and adds so much to your narrative.

This reaches my quota of one serious comment a year.

Elisa Chee said...

wow stuff99, that was uncharacteristically sincere for you. thank you kindly.

dogimo said...

Wow, I looked up the stats on that one and - that is pretty hard-core steep. I thought Alta Peak was hard!

Yes, I'm weaksauce.

Elisa Chee said...

Yay! fellow weaksauce! Congrats on doing Alta Peak.